The other night I had to take the MacBook into the Apple store to get it checked out after a toddler-related spill. I got there for my appointment and waited…and waited…and waited….
Killing time with my Android phone felt a bit weird. If I hadn’t needed to stay close to the Genius Bar I could have at least browsed the gadgets and played with an iPad or a newer laptop with a Retina display, or something. There’s only so long you can spend looking at boxes of headphones and cases for devices you don’t own. I briefly considered reading the new Flash comic book I’d picked up earlier in the day, but thought to myself, “Nah, I bet this isn’t supported here.”
Then I saw this on the wall:
Well then, I guess it’s supported after all!
I tried out the Chrome beta for Linux on two different computers yesterday. On the first one, Flash worked right “out of the box.” On the second, it wouldn’t even show up in about:plugins. I couldn’t figure out what was different.
- Both are 64-bit systems running Fedora 12.
- Both are running the 32-bit version of Flash from Adobe’s yum repository.
- Both are running the 64-bit version of Google Chrome from the beta download page.
- I had run
mozilla-plugin-config -i to create the 64-bit wrapper on both computers after updating Flash. (A security update came out yesterday.)
- Flash works just fine in 64-bit Firefox and Opera.
I looked thoroughly at my home computer last night and came up empty. This morning I took another look at my work computer — the one where Flash actually showed up — and I think I’ve found it.
Chrome is using
nswrapper_32_64.libflashplayer.so according to about:plugins. The actual file is in
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/. This system has two symbolic links to that file, one in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ and one in
IIRC Only one of these was present on my home computer.
So I think this will fix it:
ln -s /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_32_64.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
Run the command as root or using
I’ll check back tonight and update this entry to show whether it worked.
Update: Yes, it worked!