I’ve been using Alex King’s WordPress Mobile Edition for a while to provide a mobile-friendly version of this blog, but haven’t really paid much attention to it since my last few phones were extremely limited in web browsing ability. Since I got the G1, I’ve been paying more attention to mobile access, including setting up WPTouch for a high-functioning iPhone– & Android–friendly version of the site. Last week I finally got around to testing the two plugins in combination, and determined that they do seem to work together with the right priorities.
I also ran the main page through the mobile-readiness evaluator at ready.mobi, and noticed that most of the issues it cited with the mobile edition of the site were really simple changes. Some were basics like fixing unbalanced HTML, and others were recommended practices like including a DOCTYPE and making sure that headings were nested properly. So I whipped together a patch for WordPress Mobile Edition 2.1a. (It’s labeled as 2.1.1 in the readme, but it shows up as 2.1a in the list of plugins.)
- Add XHTML Mobile 1.2 Doctype.
- Fix unbalanced <small> tag.
- Fix mising <ul> tags around list of recent posts.
- Avoid empty class attribute on comments.
- Add type attribute to style element.
- Change non-standard value attribute on <meta> tag to content attribute.
- Reassign headings so that h1, h2, h3 appear in order.
wp-mobile-validation.patch [removed, see below]
The patch should be applied to the wp-mobile folder that you place in your themes folder.
Update: This has been completely superseded by more recent versions of the plug-in, which use Carrington Mobile instead.