So, you’re going to Comic-Con, you want coffee, but you don’t want Starbucks. Maybe you don’t like their coffee, maybe you don’t like their size, or maybe you don’t like the fact that they sued a comic book artist over a parody several years ago.
I’ve been to a couple of It’s a Grind locations over the past few years, and decided to do some Internet searching for other coffee places in Downtown San Diego.
First, the chains:
It’s a Grind – highly recommended.
- 1603 India St. (India & Cedar in Little Italy, near trolley stop)*
- 690 First Ave. (1st & G, across from Ralphs, near Horton Plaza)
- 10th & J St. (marked as Coming Soon on website)
- 160 W. Broadway (Broadway & Front, near Horton Plaza)
- Also inside the Ralphs at 1st and Market
I found a couple of lists at
San Diego Coffee Houses and String Beans. I’m not sure how many of them are actually downtown, but these appear to be:
- 849 West Harbor Drive
- 702 Ash Street (Ash & 7th)
Brickyard Coffee & Tea
- 675 W G St (between 6th Ave & 7th Ave at the Seaport Village trolley stop)
If you get out to Old Town San Diego, I highly recommend stopping by the San Diego Coffee and Tea House. Seriously consider picking up a bag of Highlander Grog to take home.
* Not near convention center, but still downtown & near hotels.
So, are there any San Diego natives reading? Any suggestions–especially for places within walking distance of the convention center?
See Also: Convention Photos & Write-Ups