I first read Les Misérables in high school, back in 1992 or 1993, after discovering the musical. The 2013 movie rekindled my interest, and I started re-reading it (the Norman Denny translation) with an entirely new perspective. I’ve been writing commentary as I go.
Latest: Part 27: Over the Edge
- Review: Les Misérables Movie
- Review: Les Misérables 25th Anniversary Stage Production
- Review of Les Miseranimals
- Watching three Les Misérables parodies
Part One: Fantine
- The Bishop!
- Part 2…4601
- Sunday in the Park with Fantine
- Righteousness vs “Righteousness”
- Who IS This Guy, Anyway?
- Get Me To The Courthouse On Time
Part Two: Cosette
- Off the Deep End
- Escape from Montfermeil
- Valjean sure knows how to pick a hiding place
- Getting Un-Convent-ional
- Buried Alive!
Part Three: Marius
- Paris Has the Best Street Urchins
- Meeting Marius
- Get to Know Your ABCs
- Poor, Poor Marius
- Stealth Courtship
- The Scumbag Report
- Ambush in the Slums
Part Four: The Idyll in the Rue Plumet and the Epic of the Rue Saint-Denis
- You Say You Want A Revolution
- Just a Lark
- Meanwhile, Back at the Rue Plumet…
- Epic Fail at Mugging
- Creeping Around the Garden
- Gavroche and the Adventure of the Incognito Family
- Argot, F– Yourself
- Over the Edge
- Les Mis: Looking Back at the Book
- Reading Digitally & Matching Translations
- Paper vs. Pixels
- Finished Reading! Now to Write…
I used to run a major Les Miserables fan site here from 1995 until 2000 when I had to take down most of it. Then in 2013, I wrote some reviews and started commenting on the book at my main blog, K-Squared Ramblings. I’ve since moved all that material over here.