I first read Les Misérables in high school, back in 1992 or 1993, after discovering the musical. The 2012 movie rekindled my interest, and I re-read it (the Norman Denny translation) with an entirely new perspective, writing commentary as I go.
I’ve also reviewed several adaptations and parodies, including the latest movie and the current version of the stage musical.
Reading: Commentary on the Book
Part One: Fantine
- The Bishop!
- Part 2…4601
- Sunday in the Park with Fantine
- Righteousness vs “Righteousness”
- Who IS This Guy, Anyway?
- Get Me To The Courthouse On Time
Part Two: Cosette
- Off the Deep End
- Escape from Montfermeil
- Valjean sure knows how to pick a hiding place
- Getting Un-Convent-ional
- Buried Alive!
Part Three: Marius
- Paris Has the Best Street Urchins
- Meeting Marius
- Get to Know Your ABCs
- Poor, Poor Marius
- Stealth Courtship
- The Scumbag Report
- Ambush in the Slums
Part Four: The Idyll in the Rue Plumet and the Epic of the Rue Saint-Denis
- You Say You Want A Revolution
- Just a Lark
- Meanwhile, Back at the Rue Plumet…
- Epic Fail at Mugging
- Creeping Around the Garden
- Gavroche and the Adventure of the Incognito Family
- Argot, F– Yourself
- Over the Edge
- A Revolting Development
- (From) Drinking to Revolution
- Hey, Barricade, Who’s in Charge Here?
Part Five: Jean Valjean
- Barricades of Future Past (Plus Cannon Geekery)
- Passing Peak Ammunition
- Last Stand
- What a Wonderful Smell You’ve Discovered
- Don’t Worry, Be Happy
- This is the End
Reviews of Stage and Screen Versions
- 1978 Les Misérables Movie starring Anthony Perkins and Richard Jordan
- 2012 Les Misérables Movie – the musical
- Followup: The 2012 movie after re-reading the book
- Les Misérables 25th Anniversary Stage Production
- Les Miseranimals
- Three Les Misérables parodies
- Les Mis: Looking Back at the Book
- Reading Digitally & Matching Translations
- Paper vs. Pixels
- Finished Reading! Now to Write…
I used to run a Les Misérables fan site here from 1995 until 2000 when I had to take down most of it. Then in 2013, I wrote some reviews and started commenting on the book at my main blog, K-Squared Ramblings. I’ve since moved all that material over here.